Consumer Tips on Cyber Security
Below are helpful tips to keep you safe online.
- Use unique passwords for all financial online accounts. Never share your password, account number, PIN or answers to security questions.
- Change your passwords frequently for all financial accounts. PCB recommends changing your passwords every 60 days.
- Do not save credit or debit card, banking account or routing numbers, or other financial information on your computer, phone or tablet. Instead, keep a list that is stored in a safe, secure place away from your computer.
- Be careful about using a password on mobile devices. Set your devices to automatically lock after a selected period of time to ensure no one can access your smartphone, tablet or laptop.
- Do not provide your secure financial information over the phone or internet if you are unsure of who is asking for it. Contact your bank directly by using the phone number on the back of your debit or credit card, or stop in your bank to speak with someone in person. Remember, PCB will never contact or text you asking for personal or banking information. Assume any unsolicited text request is fraudulent.
- Be aware of the location of your mobile devices (smartphones, tablets) at all times. Only log on financial websites when you have a secure, safe and trusted Internet connection.
- Contact PCB immediately if you think your online identity has been compromised. The sooner you alert proper authorities about suspicious activity, the sooner it can be resolved.
- For additional information about cyber crimes in general, our staff is here to provide answers. For additional information about Cyber Security Awareness, visit Stay Safe Online's website at https://staysafeonline.org.